Re: The ferociously totalitarian response of the Left to Sarah Palin: Sexism, intolerance, and fear
Excellent, accurate title, Donald.
The one bit of good news to emerge from the anti-Palin furor is that women appear to have well and truly “arrived” – our gender is less important than our political orientation.
Here are some helpful guidelines for commentators who wish to criticize Governor Palin without appearing hypocritical or biased.
– Would you utter that criticism of a man?
– When you examined comparable actions of a Democrat in the identical situation at some point in the past (none of the matters for which Governor Palin has been criticized is without precedent), did you criticize him or her? Or were you silent or even praising?
– Are you actually changing your stance on an issue in order to criticize Gov Palin?
– Did you yourself, in your professional or personal life, willingly and deliberately take the action for which you are about to criticize Gov Palin?
– Are you about to precede your criticism with a fatuous statement such as, “Should this even be a subject of discussion?”
Avoiding these pitfalls in the course of your evaluation will engender a more open, honest and substantive debate as to the comparative merits of the two tickets.