The Cause of the Firings
Every working Rhode Islander, and all of those looking for work, can see the disconnection of Central Falls union rhetoric:
“We still hold that this termination of the entire faculty is a violation of the contract and contrary to state law and federal law as well,” [teachers union President Jane] Sessums said. “This is a termination of the entire faculty without cause, we believe.”
You want cause?
- Only 4% of students proficient in math in 2008-2009, up from 3% the year before, with 75% “substantially below proficient.”
- Only 45% proficient in reading.
- Only 29% proficient in writing.
- Only 17% proficient in science.
- A 48% graduation rate.
- A 50% failure rate for the current school year.
As a body — and it is the teachers’ decision to be handled as a collective union — the teachers are failing. Every year, every day, students are deprived of a successful educational experience. That must change, and since the union’s been blocking the avenue for change that doesn’t entail a mass firing, a drastic step must be taken.