Eagle or Turkey?
If the choice had been his alone, Benjamin Franklin would have selected the turkey to be the symbol of the United States of America…
For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country�For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.You disagree with Ben Franklin at your own risk. However, with the benefit of hindsight, I can think of at least 5 reasons why we should be glad the eagle beat out the turkey for the honor of representing the United States of America…
5. I’m not sure that it’s possible to do a realistic drawing of a turkey holding arrows with one foot and an olive branch with the other for the Great Seal of the United States.
4. I doubt that “Sam the Turkey” would have become the cultural icon that Sam the Eagle has.
3. Do you really think that John Wayne would have starred in a movie titled “The Wings of Turkeys”? How about Clint Eastwood in “Where Turkeys Dare”?
2. The 101st Airborne division would be known as “The Screaming Turkeys”.
1. Having the Apollo 11 crew announce that “the Turkey has landed” would have destroyed the moment.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!