David Cote Running for State GOP Chairman
David Cote, Chairman of the South Kingstown Republican Town Committee, has formally declared his candidacy for State GOP Chair…
If the RIGOP is to succeed with its mission in 2008, it must be run like a business.In conjunction with his announcement, Mr. Cote has released a detailed plan describing what he would like to accomplish as chair…
As a Director of one of the largest technology corporations in the world with responsibility for $500 million in annual revenue, a 24 year veteran of the high tech industry, and a graduate of Seton Hall University with a Master of Business Administration, I have experience of how to run the RIGOP like a successful business where appropriate.
My vision for the RI GOP is the product of my success as Chairman of the South Kingstown Republican Town Committee. Before I became Chair of SK GOP in 2005, it was inactive. The Committee regularly failed to generate a quorum for meetings, and its fundraising numbers were insufficient.
Today, the SKGOP is the fastest growing Republican Town Committee in Rhode Island. It is the second largest RTC in RI by total numbers, and the largest by monthly attendance. Fundraising was up by more than 400% after my first term. This could only have been achieved by uniting the existing members and successfully recruiting new members.
My vision for the RI GOP is also the product of my experience as a Republican candidate for public office and an elected official in Rhode Island in 2002. Having successfully run for elected office as a Republican, I am aware of the challenges faced by Republican candidates in Rhode Island.
Finally, my vision for the RI GOP is the product of my experience as Secretary of RI GOP since 2005. As an officer of the RI GOP, I have seen first hand the needs of candidates across the State of Rhode Island.
This diverse and complete background of experience provides me with a uniquely qualified perspective for leading the RI GOP to success in 2008.
In the simplest of terms, the mission of the Rhode Island Republican Party is to elect more Republicans in Rhode Island. How this mission is most effectively carried out is a function of the following components:
Following is our vision for fulfilling the mission of RI GOP to ensure its success in 2008. We highly recommend a team approach with two experienced leaders that have the ability to represent the Republican Party to the media or otherwise when the other is unavailable. David Coté and Joseph White represent the best combination of such a team.
- Candidate Recruitment
- Message Development
- Resource Allocation
- Reach out to existing and prospective high level donors for direct personal solicitation by the Chairman. Prospective donors should be selected based on their affiliation with business networks, government reform networks, and other networks inclined to support the RI GOP platform.
- Grow the Finance Committee / Anchors component to maximize the benefit of well connected RI GOP supporters.
- Solicit the support of Republican elected officials in Rhode Island and beyond, the Republican National Committee, the Republican Governor’s Association, the National Federation of Republican Assemblies, and other groups that may be able to offer speakers, headliners and other avenues for attracting donors to the party and to fundraising events.
- Maintain a consistent direct mail and email solicitation effort of the existing RI GOP house file and targeted prospecting lists.
- Investigate standard options available to State Political Parties that allow for raising money from areas outside of Rhode Island.
- Number one is the support of local GOP grassroots committees. Unite local GOP’s to achieve our Republican defined common objectives.
- Identify districts with vulnerable / narrowly elected Democrat incumbents for focus of candidate recruitment efforts.
- Hold regular meetings with party leaders in vulnerable Democrat districts to solicit their assistance with candidate recruitment and focus their recruitment efforts.
- Conduct candidate training sessions to demonstrate the Party’s commitment to recruited candidates and to maintain close contact with their campaigns.
- Focus on the Republican Party’s fundamental principles of fiscal responsibility, lower taxes, and limited growth of government (Refer to recent RIGOP Platform).
- Respond immediately to the media on everyday events that violate our core Republican platform.
- Support Governor Carcieri’s policies and defend his efforts to reform government and remove the status quo.
- Lead the way on issues important to the Governor in which he is determining the pulse of both our citizens and elected officials.
- Build on the recent RIGOP platform to create an identity for Republicans in Rhode Island. Expand to recruit organizations that naturally would fit with the Republican Party such as tax groups, government reform groups, etc.
- Conduct polling research to refine points of communication for Republican candidates in targeted districts.
- Coordinate all legislative races to ensure they stay on-message through the election season.
- Create a plan to reach out to unaffiliated voters and fiscally conservative Democrats.
- Create a plan to reach out to local clergy and their members.
- Provide direct and in-kind financial support to targeted Republican candidates who demonstrate campaign viability.
- Serve as a foundation of support to help Republican candidates benefit from the growing use of technology with direct voter contact.
- Function as a clearing house to Republican candidates for direct voter contact resources, including strategy, printing, media, etc.
- Coordinate human resources / volunteers to targeted races in the final days of the election cycle.
- Discuss and define methods of using funds to support Republican Candidates.