Re 2: Marisol’s Odds Go Down

I’m going to offer a quasi-correction here, to prevent Anchor Rising from propagating any misunderstandings created by Karen Lee Ziner‘s confusing reporting in today’s Projo of the story of Mynor Montifar, Carmen Marrero and their daughter Marisol.
Puerto Rico is part of the United States. That means…

  1. Saying that “Carmen Marrero is here legally from Puerto Rico”, as Ms. Ziner does in her Projo story, makes as much sense as saying that “Allison Alexander is here legally from Ohio” or “Matt Jerzyk is here legally from Kentucky”, unless Ms. Ziner intends to imply that Ms. Marrero legally immigrated to Puerto Rico from someplace else.
  2. If being “here from Puerto Rico” does mean what it most directly denotes — that Carmen Marrero is an American citizen from Puerto Rico — then Marisol is also an American citizen, as the daughter of an American citizen. (UPDATE: Correction to my correction: Marisol would also have been an American citizen by virtue of having been born within the US, no matter the nationality of her parents.)
  3. Also, if Carmen Marrero is indeed an American citizen who was born in Puerto Rico, it means that Mynor Montufar, Marisol’s father, could have become an American citizen by simply marrying the mother of his child can become eligible to become a permanent resident by marrying the mother of his child, which illustrates the core dilemma of illegal immigration in a very direct and sad way: People who don’t want to take on any of the most basic responsibilities of society (like marrying before having children) expect to be given the full rights of those who do (“How dare you separate me from my family, even if it is a family I could never be bothered to acknowledge in the eyes of civil society or any church”.)

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
13 years ago

Just FYI, you don’t automatically become a citizen by marrying one. My fiance is not a US citizen (but is here legally, has an advanced degree, speaks English & is gainfully employed, probably much unlike the young man in the article) & we are going to file for a green card for him once we do get married. It is a long, expensive process. Somehow I doubt those mentioned in the article have the financial means or legal know how to do it.

13 years ago

Ooops. Sorry about that; I said “citizen” when I should have said “permanent resident”, and you are right that the process is far from automatic

Once the marriage has taken place, the couple files the following with USCIS:

  1. Petition for Alien Relative (USCIS Form I-130)
  2. Application to Register Permanent Residence (USCIS Form I-485)
  3. Biographic Information (USCIS Form G-325A)
  4. Affidavit of Support (USCIS Form I-864)
  5. Permission for Work Authorization (Optional) (USCIS Form I-765)
  6. Medical Examination Results (USCIS Form I-693)
  7. Request for Travel Documents (Optional) (USCIS Form I-131)
  8. The appropriate supporting documents
  9. The USCIS filing fees ($1,010 to $1,365)

Still, you can’t get to steps 1-9, without walking down the aisle first.

Mike Cappelli
Mike Cappelli
13 years ago

I can’t believe you bigots think you should have to get married to have children. What gives you the right to suggest that people shouldn’t be able to act like dogs, going around humping anytime they please, leaving litters behind. You rascists need sensitivity training. Hah!

13 years ago

How long before the Baby Mama goes on TV, brandishing the baby, screeching ME HAVE BABY NO DEPORT PAPA!
They better ship this guy back before Reed, Whitehouse, Shelton, Brewster and the commie propoganda machine kicks into gear.

13 years ago

“You rascists”
Stipulating the premise of your comment for a moment, Mike C, suppose those criteria apply across the board to everyone, regardless of race?

13 years ago

“How long before the Baby Mama goes on TV, brandishing the baby, screeching ME HAVE BABY NO DEPORT PAPA!”
I believe the press conference with the ACLU, various “community organizations,” with the Baby Mama in tow will be held tomorrow. A sunrise isn’t this predictable.

13 years ago

For the record, if an illegal alien entered without inspection, then he/she most likely CANNOT adjust status in the US. He/she would probably have to return to his/her homeland and have their spouse apply for a waiver for them to enter the country as a permanent resident.

Show your support for Anchor Rising with a 25-cent-per-day subscription.