Community

The Fire Code Strikes Again

By Justin Katz | May 8, 2009 |

And the squeeze on non-governmental services — most notably from the Roman Catholic diocese — pushes another one over the edge: The Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence has told a state nursing home association that it is closing St. Francis House, its assisted-living center at 167 Blackstone St. later this year, a spokeswoman for the…

Taxing the Rich and Hurting the Poor

By Marc Comtois | March 5, 2009 |

Apparently we are all well aware that the rich can afford to pay more taxes–“their fair share.” But can the poor afford it? The administration’s recently released budget will limit tax deductions on gifts made to charities by those earning over $250,000 a year, raising (we are told) almost $180 billion over the next ten…

Volunteer

By Marc Comtois | February 19, 2009 |

Nothing, in my opinion, is more deserving of our attention than the intellectual and moral associations of America…they are as necessary to the American people as [political and industrial associations], and perhaps more so. In democratic countries the science of association is the mother of science; the progress of all the rest depends upon the…

What It Means to Care

By Justin Katz | November 26, 2008 |

During an interesting conversation, last night, a long-time Tiverton resident suggested to me that members of Tiverton Citizens for Change “don’t care about Tiverton.” The storyline is that we’re newcomers simply looking out for our own financial interests, as opposed to townies willing, I suppose, to put the town’s needs before their own. With a…

A Good Deed in the Neighborhood

By Justin Katz | November 12, 2008 |

This sort of good deed is so important: Christopher and Terri Potts bought a fixer-upper house, pledging to tackle upgrades a little at a time as their toddler son, Jackson, grew up. But the new father never got a chance to finish what he started. In the spring of 2004, less than a year after…

Senseless Tragedy in Cranston

By Carroll Andrew Morse | May 22, 2008 |

Foremost, my prayers are with the family of Joseph Pagano, who by every account I’ve read was a well-liked and well-respected member of the community. I’ll agree with Lt. Pagano’s former boss Michael Traficante, quoted in yesterday’s Cranston Herald…“We have become a very sick society if we have to resort to a lethal weapon when…